Landlords/Apartment Managers We Need You!
The Port Arthur Housing Authority is looking for Property Owners/Managers that have affordable, safe, and sanitary vacant rental property in Jefferson, Orange, and Hardin Counties. The rental property must pass a minimal Housing Quality Standard Inspection.
- Steady – guaranteed rent payments
- Reduced turnover
- Low vacancy rates
- Free HQS Inspections
- More responsible tenants
- Maximum rents paid – depending on rent reasonableness
If you are interested in listing your rental property with us, please contact us at 409-984-2619 to list your property. Leave your name, address of rental property, number of bedrooms, and a phone number where you can be reached. Or come by our office at 920 DeQueen Blvd, Port Arthur, TX 77640.
If you are an existing landlord and you have some questions regarding Housing Quality Standards for an inspection, please contact us at 409-984-2648.
Landlord Briefing Powerpoint:
Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Process:
- RTenant locates a unit (house or apartment) they are interested in renting and confirms that the landlord is interested in participating in Housing Choice Voucher program;
- RLandlord completes Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) packet along with an attached proposed lease;
- RTenant schedules appointment with caseworker and returns signed RFTA packet and lease approval documents on the unit they have selected;
- RCaseworker determines tenant eligibility for the selected unit (based on rent to income ratio);
- RCaseworker notifies inspection department to schedule a Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspection;
- RWhen the unit passes HQS, the caseworker is notified and the move process continues;
- RIf the unit fails HQS, the landlord is required to complete all repairs and pass re-inspection before the unit will be considered a passed inspection;
- RCaseworker gives the Client the approval for move-in;
- RCaseworker works new move in within the appropriate timeframe and notifies the client and landlord by mail;
Rent will be prorated in instances of approval after the beginning of the month. In no circumstances will rental assistance begin before a passed Housing Quality Inspection (HQS) is accomplished and approval for move-in is granted. If the landlord grants permission for tenant to move-in prior to the time the unit passed an HQS inspection and approval for move-in is granted, the tenant will be responsible for any rent incurred from the time of move-in until the time that a passed HQS inspection is accomplished and approval for move-in is granted.
If you are interested in listing your rental property with us, contact us today